Thomas Spahni wrote:
Hi everyone,

recently I encountered the following problem:

SELECT COUNT(id) FROM sometable WHERE somevarchar LIKE 'thistext ';

returned 0 (of course!) because trailing blanks can't exist in a column of
type VARCHAR.

But: Shouldn't the constant be truncated automatically in this context
before the comparison is made? I can certainly do it in my application but
I think that it would be a consistent behaviour if MySQL would do it. Any
opinions from the list?

What about:

  ... WHERE LEFT(somevarchar,9) LIKE 'thistext ';

The automatic truncation should not happen in this case...?

--
Roger