What errors are being displayed when you attempt to log in? Is anything being written to the error log itself?

A. Clausen wrote:

I made a copy of my entire Mysql 3.23 data directory and moved it on to a box with a fresh install of MySQL 4. While the NT service starts up fine (I'm using 4.0.22-nt-max), I can't login. I know that there are supposed to be mods made to the mysql database tables, but I thought there was at least a minimum compatibility. The only way to get access to anything is to shut down MySQL, put in the default table that came with the install. What am I doing wrong here?