Johanne,

There are numerous questions about connection methods, pooling etc that
would be better asked in the tomcat list and would require work in your web
application.

However, putting on my pragmatic system integrator hat, could you get round
this by simply doing a request to your application using wget at the end of
your MySQL backup script?

Worth considering,

Andy