Alaios <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> added:

> Thx for your interest..
> The type of my question is for learning what to
> choose. I would use what u suggest me.. The only
> information i can provide u is that i am running
> linux..
> If u can suggest me the version of mysql and the
> appropriate function and  after i will continue
> searching...
> I am searching if i can implement some functionality
> of an information retrieval system using mysql...Do u
> have any resources available?

Alaios,

MySQL is well suited for that sort of thing, but you'll have some homework to
do.

You need a programming language to build your information retrieval system in,
and you would likely use that same language to access the data in your
database.  Potential languages are many and include C++, PHP, Perl, Python,
etc., etc.

I presume you intend to "serve" (as in server) your information to many people.
 If you would do this via a browser/the web (intranet or Internet) you might
prefer a language like PHP over others, the point being you would want to
decide this at the beginning of your project - how you will provide the data to
people not sitting at your PC.

MySQL has tons of capabilities and applications - its not just for the web -
but web applications are an easy thing to gain some knowledge of.

Suggestions:

-  Google terms like "web MySQL tutorial"  or "PHP MySQL tutorial" and do some
reading to get oriented
-  Buy a book like "MySQL" (Paul DuBois) or "PHP and MySQL Web Development"
(Luke Wellington, Laura Thomson).  If the price of a new edition is cost
prohibitive, try picking up a used ("good' or "new") condition book via
Amazon.com - an easy way to get information on subjects you are not sure you
are ready to invest in.
-  Read the online MySQL documentation, and or download it to your PC
-  Download MySQL (any version, but the latest stable version makes sense) and
start playing with it.

good luck - have fun exploring.

Eric

P.S.  I'm not really PHP-positive-biased  --  it's not my favorite language  --
 but I know there is an awful lot of tutorial material on the web re:
PHP/MySQL...