Hello.

Usually clients are blocked with insert or update statements until
table became unlocked. Their threads just sleep and then continue
execution (but they can got an error if query doesn't return for a long time).
INSERT queries are not buffered in that sense you've ment, unlike they are
INSERT DELAYED. May be you should think about incremental backup. See:
  http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Backup.html

       <___/   www.mysql.com