At 12:05 PM 12/13/2004, you wrote:
Is there any way to limit drive usage per thread?

I have a problem where an update thread will use 100 % of the drive, and simple index searches that should be instant will wait and wait and wait before responding.

I dont want one user to kill everybody else

I'm adding a column to a large table for a client, but every client is getting hit with a database that seems to be locked up

Are you using Insert or Update? If you optimize the table, Inserts should run faster because locks won't be necessary because there are no holes in the table.

Have you tried Delayed Updates or Low Priority for the updates?
I'm assuming you are doing batch updates so they get done quickly. (Don't have 1,000 update statements but have just a few).

Just for the heck of it, what happens if you move the updating table to another database? You can then access the table by prefixing the table name with the database name as in "dbnamex.tablename".

Mike