From: Anil Doppalapudi [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2004 6:05 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Monitoring replication in mysql

Hi,

we have no of mysql replication setups in our setup. how to monitor those
replication setups.my aim is if any slave goes down
my script should immediately send an alert mail to me. if anybody having
already developed scripts please let me know otherwise just give me an idea
what to monitor in in replication setup.

Thanks
Anil
DBA

We have a script that monitors output from SHOW SLAVE STATUS, but actually had one time when replication died, but output from above command looked perfectly fine. It was due to massive table corruption, which was in turn due to filesystem corruption. Now, we have the same test running, but we also have a backup monitor which inserts a value in the master and tries to read it from all replicants. We allow an acceptable delay (5-10 minutes) before we page all admins with this backup test.

Greg