Goutham
Thanks for your help. The problem in this case was line endings. I use an
Apple g4 for web work on system 10.2. By default BBEdit uses macintosh line
endings. MySQL does not recognize them. As soon as I changed the textfile
format to unix line endings, it imported the data without any trouble at
all. I take your point about mysql import and the nature of this command.
The only reason I am using is that at the present time I do not have the
time to reconfigure my server to make use of other ways of importing text.
Thanks for your comments
RB