Hello.

After installing the latest GA (Generally Available) version, 4.1.8, of the MySQL Server [1] on my Windows XP SP2 system, I noticed something strange with the PATH environment variable. Upon opening a command prompt window, I could not directly execute any of the usual applications (ipconfig, net, etc.) which reside in the Windows' subdirectories. Examining the environment variables, I noticed that the special value %SystemRoot% was not being expanded to "C:\Windows" as it used to.

Some googling revealed that this usually happens when some application inadvertently (or not) changes the type of the value "Path" under the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment in the registry, from REG_EXPAND_SZ to REG_SZ. When this happens, the system does not expand the special values in the string and thus, path entries using them no longer work.

I write to ask whether anybody else has also noticed this behavior on their systems, as I am still not completely sure it is caused by MySQL. I will post again, if I find any conclusive evidence.

[1] http://dev.mysql.com/get/Downloads/MySQL-4.1/mysql-4.1.8-essential-win.msi/from/pick

Regards,

--
Ney André de Mello Zunino