----- Original Message -----
From: "Nico Alberti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Rhino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, December 23, 2004 10:25 AM
Subject: Re: Tables "shortcuts"?

> On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 08:46:13 -0500, Rhino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> > I am not very clear on what you want to do. Your English is fine but you
> > haven't explained the problem and what you want to do in sufficient
detail.

> Thank you Rhino for your answer.
>
> I would like to do a thing like this:
>
> A table, say: olddb.table1 is moved to newdb.table1. Every application
> (let's forget about Access now) has to change its query accordingly.
>
> What I was asking is if there is some trick that can make appear a
> "bogus" table1 in olddb that references to the new position of table1,
> so any query can work as before  affecting the "real" table1 in newdb.
>
> For what I know this could be a job that can be done by a view (even
> if, using 4.1 I can not use them).
>
> Of course this is not a blocking problem, I was only wondering if
> there was a way to save me some work :-)

Nico,

It is always best if you post followup questions/remarks back to the list.
This makes it possible for everyone on the list to follow the conversation
and to help you. It also ensures that the conversation will be stored on the
MySQL archive so that others can learn from it in the future. That is why I
am sending this reply to the list, not just to you directly.

I don't know of a way to do what you want to do in MySQL. I am relatively
new to MySQL myself. I just looked in the manual and didn't see anything
that does what you want to do but maybe I just didn't look in the right
place. It sounds like you are describing something like a Unix symbolic link
but I don't know of any way to do that within MySQL.

Maybe someone else on the list has an idea that can help you.

Rhino