Hello.

>Worst case, do I just uninstall and reinstall mysql?

Don't panic :)

My opinion: this situation looks similar to the example described

at:

  http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Connection_access.html

May be you have several entries at user table. Can you login using your old

password? If no, run mysqld_safe with --skip-grant-tables command line option

(with this option everybody can connect to your server so be careful).

What output does the following statement produce:

  use mysql;

  select user,host from user where user='root';

You can restore your root password using such statement:

 set password for user 'root'@'your_host'=password('great password');

Than restart server as usual (without --skip-grant-tables).

       <___/   www.mysql.com