You are correct. The AV scan should not happen unless the database is
shutdown or some kind of file locking contention could occur.

It should be possible in your OS to deny your AV access to the folders
that contain your database files. This may mean changing the user account
your AV runs under and/or modifying the permissions on the folders.

But first, I would attempt to add your data folders into the "exceptions"
list so that NAV will avoid scanning those folders.  You may also want to
put your server executable (mysqld or whichever variant you use) into the
"do not interfere" programs list (The names may be different in the
version you use but all good AV software has facilities to make exceptions
to what gets scanned and which ports and processes are monitored)

It's my firm belief that no process and nobody should be able to touch
(lock, read, anything) my datafiles except the server executable itself
and possibly a backup process (one that I approve of and coordinate the
server with). I think that most DBA's will agree with that philosophy.

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine