"David Katz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 12/30/2004 12:34:31 PM:

> We loaded a new server with Windows XP professional, and mysql
> server 4.1. We can't get Mysql to run.  After installing mysql and
> trying to execute it we get the following message:
>
> ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'ODBC' @'localhost'
> (using password: NO)
>
> Any ideas on what we can try and do?
>
> Thanks
> David.

Your server IS running or you wouldn't have that error, you would have
seen something else. You left out a critical detail from your original
post:

        What are you doing when you get that error?

If you are attempting a connection through an ODBC driver, you need to be
aware that even the most up-to-date driver acts like a pre-4.1 client.
That means you may need to follow  one or more of the suggestions
documented here:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Problems.html
especially read A.2.3 :
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Old_client.html

Let me know if I am on the right track, OK?

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine