How should I handle encodings and output to web pages?

I'm inserting some POST variables from a PHP script directly into a MySQL database. (I have magic quotes turned on, so quotes already taken care of.)

There's the possibility that there could be some UTF-8 bytes in the POST variable strings. (This PHP script is called by a desktop app, so I can guarantee the encoding is UTF.)

What should I do when retrieving the data from the database and outputting it to a PHP page? For example, how do I convert é to é (or whatever is appropriate)?

Adam Ernst