Spenser, the bug report was a direct hit in the sense that it spoke
about the problem I am having, but it was actually wrong and the
suggested FLUSH TABLES workaround did not work.

On my servers (4.0.13-nt running on Windows 2000 Pro) FLUSH TABLES had
no effect at all on the Update_time.

I quit trying to use Update_time to track replication status. Now I do
the following:

SHOW MASTER STATUS on the master and record the binlog file name and
position.

SHOW SLAVE STATUS on the slave and record the Master_log_file and
Exec_master_log_position.

If these match, then I assume replication is up to date. Is this an okay
assumption?

BTW, I am aware that starting with 4.1.1 there is a
"Seconds_behind_master" field that could be helpful, but our medical
application currently only supports up to MySQL 4.0.18.

--
Eric Robinson