On Thu, 2004-12-30 at 16:19 -0700, Sasha Pachev wrote:
> Dale Blount wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've been fighting this problem for a while, and now it's time to ask
> > the experts.  Please also CC me on this, I'm only on the list as a
> > digest.
>
> Dale:
>
> Enable the log-long-format and log-slow-queries on your server, and see if
> you
> have some hogs that lock your table for a long time once in a while. This
> would
> explain the results you are observing.

Thanks for the tips Sasha.  I had neglected to mention that I have these
already turned on and very little shows up in them (i.e. nothing when I
get a 5 second response, although every once in a while something is
listed).  I have checked that the packets are making it there on time
using tcpdump, there's just that unknown 5 second wait before a response
is returned.  As far as I can tell it's not because of a slow query and
turning on full query logging doesn't make anything stick out to me.
Anything else I could try?

Thanks and Happy New Year,

Dale