There are probably several changes to be made...

1- store characters in 'binary' fields and not text or char fields;
2- convert them into html entities before sending to the client (e.g. à is
converted to à). most languages can do it easily;
3- include charset as outlined previously, possibly adding the language
extension as suggested (fr) in order to make it even more friendly to your
users.

Regards

Jose Carlos