[snip]
I read 6) as saying that until you complete all of the calculations on a
row, you don't change the data for the row. I could even interpret this
as saying that you don't update ANY row on the table until you have
completed the calculations for ALL of the rows.

I read 7) as saying that you compute all new values based on a fixed set
of initial values, the <update source>.

Am I just totally confused? I do not believe that any of these
specification allows the engine to "see" a change to a row value until
after the row (or even the entire statement, depending on how you want
to read the clauses dealing with <value expression>s or <update source>)
completes it's processing.
[/snip]

You may be confused, as the interpretation is quite the same for several
DB manufacturers. In the case of InnoDB tables I am updating each row
per the query...

UPDATE [order of tables]
SET [for each row table in order]

Once the query has performed the operation on all rows affected the
COMMIT occurs.