You could also leave the password blank if you don't
want to force MySQL to revert to the old password
encryption on start-up. This should be fine if your
server is in the DMZ and you control all the processes
that have access to the server.

Unfortunately, 4.2.x breaks backward compatibility
with ODBC and many other old clients, including major
open source PHP projects.