I've read the sections on GRANT's and permissions, and done some googling, and
still haven't found what I'm looking for.

I have a user that has USAGE and GRANT global privs and all privs and GRANT on
database rubric.

However, when they try to run this query:

GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, CREATE ON rubric.* TO 'user'@'localhost'
IDENTIFIED BY 'password';

They get the error

ERROR 1044: Access denied for user 'user'@'host' to database 'mysql'

They can log in just fine, so it is not a matter of host name.

I found a post that seemed to allude to the fact that a user with GRANT could
only create a new user via GRANT if there was not IDENTIFIED BY clause.
(However, a user with write permissions to the mysql database could).  I
verified this to be the case when this query,

GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, CREATE ON rubric.* TO 'user'@'localhost'

run as the user in question, worked and created the user, albeit with no
password.

Is there a way for a user with GRANT privs to create a user *with* a password?

--
Joshua J. Kugler -- Fairbanks, Alaska -- ICQ#:13706295
Every knee shall bow, and every tongue confess, in heaven, on earth, and under