Hello, thanks for helping!  Here is the output of the requested statements on
live database:

SHOW CREATE TABLE avatardata;
| customavatar | CREATE TABLE `customavatar` (
 `userid` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
 `avatardata` mediumtext NOT NULL,
 `dateline` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
 `filename` varchar(100) NOT NULL default '',
 PRIMARY KEY  (`userid`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1 |

SHOW CREATE DATABASE 'put the name of the avatar database';
ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that
corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near
''customavatar'' at line 1

SHOW VARIABLES LIKE '%char%';
+--------------------------+----------------------------------------+
| Variable_name            | Value                                  |
+--------------------------+----------------------------------------+
| character_set_client     | latin1                                 |
| character_set_connection | latin1                                 |
| character_set_database   | latin1                                 |
| character_set_results    | latin1                                 |
| character_set_server     | latin1                                 |
| character_set_system     | utf8                                   |
| character_sets_dir       | /usr/local/mysql/share/mysql/charsets/ |
+--------------------------+----------------------------------------+

Here is my my.cnf file [Removed commented out sections]:
[client]
#password       = your_password
port            = 3306
socket          = /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

# Here follows entries for some specific programs

# The MySQL server
[mysqld]
port            = 3306
socket          = /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
skip-locking
key_buffer = 16M
max_allowed_packet = 1M
table_cache = 64
sort_buffer_size = 512K
net_buffer_length = 8K
read_buffer_size = 256K
read_rnd_buffer_size = 512K
myisam_sort_buffer_size = 8M
datadir=/var/lib/mysql
old-passwords

log-bin

server-id       = 1

[mysqldump]
quick
max_allowed_packet = 16M

[mysql]
no-auto-rehash
# Remove the next comment character if you are not familiar with SQL
#safe-updates

[isamchk]
key_buffer = 20M
sort_buffer_size = 20M