Hi Brent,   thanks for your comments!  An unbiased outside pov always helps!

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 14:32:16 -0500, Brent Baisley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> While part of the problem may be OS X, Apple is still optimizing parts
> of the OS, I would say the "problem" is that you are comparing it to an
> aging PIII. Some people have gotten better performance from a PIII than
> a P4. The reason is cache. The PIII has a larger cache, MySQL loves
> cache. The G5 XServe have a comparatively small cache (512k L2, 1MB L3
> I think). If you have a G4 XServe around, I would try that. You may get
> better performance. The G4 XServe came with 2MB L3 cache. Your best
> hardware may actually be Intel's Extreme Edition CPU (4MB cache)
> designed for gaming. Although I haven't seen any benchmarks, just my
> speculation.

Actually the G5 has no L3 cache and 512k of L2.  The Coppermines PIII
I was comparing to has 256k of L2 cache and also no L3.  I don't have
any G4s available to compare to unfortunately.

> Another possibility is your disks. Did the PIII have SCSI? SCSI uses a
> technique called command queueing to optimize reads and writes. Command
> queueing has only recently become available on some ATA drives and
> Apple does not ship SATA drives with command queueing in their XServes.
> If your old system had SCSI disks, you could try moving them over to
> the XServe if you have a SCSI card in the XServe. Or replace the SATA
> drives in the XServe with SATA drives with command queueing.

True, the PIII does use SCSI disks, but it doesn't seem that the
XServe is disk bound.

> The G5 is excellent for compute intensive tasks, databases are
> typically throughput intensive. If you can't take advantage of the
> vector processor in the G5 (and G4), you're missing a big part of where
> the G5 gets it's performance. You may try compiling a version of MySQL
> yourself, optimized for the G5 chip.
> http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn2086.html#G5options
> This thread from the archive may help in compiling:
> http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/mysql/2004-q2/0759.html

Thanks for that pointer.  I've compiled a G5 optimized copy of 4.1.8a
and it definitely makes a subtle improvement to performance.

> But besides all that, you should first determine what's causing the
> bottleneck. It's either disk (I/O), CPU, RAM (not enough allocated), or
> Network.

Still trying to get a clear sense of this but I'm thinking it's CPU.

Thanks again!
 scott