From: BD [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, 8 January 2005 2:07 AM
To: mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: Slow queries, need advice on how to improve; key_buffer?

Hi,

I'm having a problem with slow query and parse times with a MySQL - PHP
ecommerce application I am testing out.  Also getting an error message with
the key_buffer variable.

I tried to improve MySQL speed/performance by adding key_buffer=50M
to my my.cnf file for [mysqld].  When I restarted MySQL, I'm getting a "0
DB_ERROR_NOT_CONNECTED" error when visiting
my php-MySQL web application via http.  When I removed above and then
restarted MySQL the error goes away.

I read in my Widenius - MySQL book that I should use the command
"set_variable=key_buffer=64M" (or some other memory limit - I have 1.2 gig
of ram on server).  I also tried this instead of adding the above to my.cnf.
However upon logging on as root in mySQL and running the command, I'm,
getting a command not found error.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong with the above two attempts?  Or
give any advice as to how to improve speed of accessing the mySQL database
for my web application?  I'm running MySQL 3.23.56 on a linux box.

Thanks anyone,

BD