Thanks for your suggestions, everyone, but I have followed the manual and
repeated the installation process (with it's very nice GUI, by the way) more
than once, and I still have a problem.

Perhaps it isn't that simple after all.

I had similar problem on this laptop when I installed version 4, and I see
now the same message in event logs that "The MySQL service failed to start
due to the following error: MySQL is not a valid win32 application".

I had no problem installing and running version 4 of the server on a desktop
running XP.  So I think the issue is with the laptop.

At the beginning of the laptop installation XP whines that MySQL is not
digitally signed or something, but when I instruct it to ignore that the
installation commences.

I noticed that the MySQL service records the old location of the executable
for the server but you can't edit that.

So I chose MySQL4 as the service name during re-installation -but it refuses
to create the service.    So I chose port 3307 in case that was causing a
conflict -but still it refuses to create the service.

If anyone thinks they know the solution to this problem (be it trivial or
not) I'll take the risk that the answer might confuse me, because it's not
in the manual.....

Thanks for any help.