OK, then you were on the right track with your JOINS because you wanted to
know how many of each type of item (gift or event) each user had.

Off the top of my head, I think you need to perform an OUTER JOIN (not the
implicit INNER JOIN you create by listing table names separated by commas)
and use a COUNT(DISTINCT...)

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/JOIN.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/GROUP-BY-Functions.html

I am going to make up a table structure (adjust to fit your actual
tables). One table, "users", has an ID and other information on it. Two
child tables, "gifts" and "events", have an ID column, a user_ID column,
and other information.

SELECT u.ID, COUNT(DISTINCT g.ID) as gifts, COUNT(DISTINCT e.ID) as events
FROM users u
LEFT JOIN gifts g
        ON g.user_ID = u.ID
LEFT JOIN events e
        ON e.user_ID = u.ID
GROUP BY u.ID;

That should tell you how many of each item (gift or event) belongs to each
user. Both COUNT() and COUNT(DISTINCT ) ignore NULLS but the DISTINCT
modifier helps by eliminating duplicates. If you don't think this query
originally contained duplicates try this non-GROUPED version of the query
and look at the data.

SELECT u.ID, g.ID,  e.ID
FROM users u
LEFT JOIN gifts g
        ON g.user_ID = u.ID
LEFT JOIN events e
        ON e.user_ID = u.ID
ORDER BY u.ID, g.id, e.id
LIMIT 200;

What you should see is that every possible combination of GIFT and EVENT
for each user is present in this data** . The DISTINCT modifier eliminated
those duplicates from our totals.

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine

NOTE:  **By joining any two tables you form a "Cartesian product" of the
data on those tables. You restrict the results of a Cartesian product by
putting conditions in the ON clause of an explicit JOIN or in the WHERE
clause of an implicit JOIN. We were able to restrict the rows returned
from the  USERS-GIFTS join and the USERS-EVENTS join. However, we had no
way to isolate the GIFTS-EVENTS combinations to reduce gift duplication so
their full product became part of the source data for our SELECT...GROUP
BY operations.

If, for instance you had a field on the GIFTS table that determined what
EVENT the gift was for, then we could make that restriction by adding it
as a term to either one of our ON clauses or as a WHERE restriction.
Something like:

SELECT u.ID, g.ID,  e.ID
FROM users u
LEFT JOIN events e