> - make sure log-bin is enabled on both master and slave (looks like it is not
> present in the slave config)

Why is log-bin needed on the slave? I thought the master logs changes
and the slave reads those changes and updates it's copy. Why should
the slave also log changes it is making? There was no mention of this
in the docs.

> - check replication account permissions on the master. I don't remember
> details, but you can find required permissions in the docs on mysql web site,
> or doc file in mysql installation directory.

Turns out when my hosting provider "installed" MySQL 4.1, it was
actually an install over a 3.x data directory. The Priv tables were
never updated, so I never had the appropriate "REPLICATION SLAVE"
Priv, so the thread never started. It never did say why it did not
start though.

Threads are now running, but data is not getting replicated. Need to
figure that out now.

thanks again.
Frank