Sasha,

> I assume you mean "has serious performance impact" when you say "weight".
If
> this is not what you meant, please correct/clarify.

Yes, youīre right.

>> 1) Is a SELECT DISTINCT over 5,000 records a weight
>>     query? (Supposing it has about 20 different option the the
>>     DISTINCT key).
>
> This query will most likely result in a creation of a temporary table with
20
> columns and a key over all of them that will have no more than 5000
records, and
>   will take 5000 attempted inserts to populate. Assuming that your WHERE
clause
> is ok, this query should take no more than 3 seconds or so on modern
hardware.
> However, this could be bad if you are doing this frequently and there is
other
> activity going on. On the other hand, the query cache could save you. If
it does
> not, consider creating and maintaining a summary table.

Hmmm, I wanted to say the SELECT DISTINCT should return about
20 lines.

The table should have about a million records, but WHERE clause
should filter it to up to 5,000 and such query should be in the siteīs
home... :-/
Perhaps work with summaries would be a better choice.

>> 2) Is SELECT ORDER BY RAND() over 1,500 records
>>     a weight query?
>
> Does the table have only 1,500 records, and is it going to stay that way?
Are
> you selecting only a few reasonably sized columns? If yes, unless you are
Yahoo
> or Google, you'll do fine on modern hardware - this query under those
> curcumstances should take the order of maginitude of 0.01 s. However, if
you
> have more records in the table, and the WHERE clause is not optimized,
things
> could get bad, and this time the query cache does not save you.

The table should have about a million records, but WHERE clause
should filter it to up to 5,000 and such query should be in the siteīs home.

I donīt know if it can put the site in performance troubles or if itīs
paranoia of mine.

Thanks,
Ronan