We are working with mysql 4.1.8 version and windows XP os.

In that version the default amount of tablespace for data files and index files
is  given as data_file_path=ibdata1:10M .we then executed 'show table status'
command  and got innodb freespace:4092 KB (in comment column)

    We then created another tablespace as data_file_path=ibdata1:10M;ibdata2:5M
.

  Then we executed the following statements
       use sample    /* user defined database*/
       show table status  /*we want free space in tablespace and we saw
                                     in manual that comment column of
                                     of show table status gives that.*/

  We got in comment column innodb free space=9212 KB   (nearly 9 MB)

  Then we removed ibdata2 manually from 'data' directory and also deleted the
ibdata2:5M from my.ini file and again created ibdata2 with 7MB size as follows
      data_file_path=ibdata1:10M;ibdata2=7M

      Again we saw show table status output.

      It gave innodb freespace:16380KB (nearly 16MB)

We have done it many times i.e removing ibdata2 and again adding it.
But the comment column gave always the aggregate value as u can see from above
output where the freespace is given as 16MB when it should be 11MB(4MB+7MB).

      Why did this occur?Should we not remove the ibdata2 file once it is
created?If at all if we want to remove it,what are the places from where we
have to remove it?

      Does show table status always give correct values?
                      Thanking you,

        yours sincerely,

         sirisha.