On 19 Jan 2005 at 21:28, elizabeth baker wrote:

> We are building an application for myths of the world. It started out in
> Access, but when we decided to distribute it via CD to attendees at an
> art retrospective (about myths of the world), we began looking for an
> alternative db, since not everyone has Access on their computer. There
> will be no charge for the retrospective or the application CD. The
> application will eventually be web-based and available on the internet.
>
> MySQL was recommended to us, as was developing in C#. i have read that
> MySQL can be embedded in applications. Is this an advisable route for
> us? to develop and C# and embed MySQL in the application?
>
> i'm somewhat at a loss as how to proceed, and time is running out. Any
> help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Hi Elizabeth,

I understand from you email that you have no personal preference to the
database /
language you write this application, only that you have been recommended MySQL
and C#.

Therefore I would recommend you ignore the CD for now (bare with me!) and go
ahead and write your web application with whatever DB and language you feel
comfortable with.  All though I recommend you stay away from MS Access for a
web
based database as there all sorts of problems with locking / updating.

When you have completed your website you can then use a mirroring tool to
create
a copy of the website ( for windows I recommend HTTrack ).  You can then
distribute this copy as a CD based website.

This also has the advantage of working on any platform that has a web browser
and
a CD drive.

Regards

Ian