Hello,

I use a mysql server on red hat 9 linux box with PIII 733 Mhz cpu and
256 MB memory.  On this machine we use an adserver with a mysql
backend. All click and view logs are kept in mysql tables. The number
of the advertisements are increasing and so do the server's overhead.
Some times I can not connect the box via ssh because of the overhead.

First, I want to ask that the overhead will be over or not if I
upgrade the hardware? Will hardware upgrade solve the problem?

If another solution is possible, what is it? I'm new to mysql and also
database stuff. So you want some server logs or status query results?
Which are the most important infos for finding the problem and finding
a way to solution. Could you please help me? Thanks in advance..

Hello Ender,

a good way to start is probably to turn on "slow query logging", for example adding the following option to the command line of mysql:

--log-slow-queries[=file_name]

        then watch file_name with tail -f file_name, and you should
see the "bad" queries come up.

        next, do an EXPLAIN on each query, to see if it's using indexes
or not, and put indexes where you can.

Olivier

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/slow-query-log.html