Pupeno wrote:

What I don't like about that, is that half the person_id fields would be empty

and half the group_id fields would be empty. I was thinking about:

SONG-TO-PERSON-OR-GROUP LINK TABLE
* song_id
* musician_id
* type ('person', 'group')
* role (performer, lyricist, etc.)
But this is the solution that has so many redundant data. It's not very clear, but it's there.

- and conversely, I don't like the idea of column that can join to either of two tables depending on the value of a switch (the type column) :-)

- perhaps using separate columns in the link for each role might work... performer_group_id, performer_person_id, lyricist_person_id, etc. There will be one row per recording of a song, although some columns on that row may be empty.

- ian

| Ian Sales                                  Database Administrator |
|                              "If your DBA is busy all the time... |
|                               ...he's not doing his job properly" |
| eBuyer                                      http://www.ebuyer.com |