Hi there,

For some reason, despite entering my passwords in ~/.my.cnf, I still have
to enter a password on the command line to login to mysql.  I have tried
this with each of the accounts I have created and all return the same
error:

$ mysql -u sebyte
ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' (Using password: YES)

What am I doing wrong?  Here are the accounts I have created, and below
that is my ~/.my.cnf.  I have 'x'ed out my actual passwords in this post
but is there something wrong with the syntax I am using.  I have verified
that the file IS being read each time I attempt to login.

Any help much appreciated.

TIA

Sebastian

mysql> select host,user,password from user;
+-----------+------------------+------------------+
| host      | user             | password         |
+-----------+------------------+------------------+
| localhost | root             | 4be7c493348ee750 |
| localhost | guest            |                  |
| localhost | debian-sys-maint | 7985ba067899ea77 |
| localhost | sebyte           | 5722c7a41e81cbb3 |
| localhost | ddj              | 7b17b74d22ac2a88 |
+-----------+------------------+------------------+
5 rows in set (0.08 sec)

# -*- mode: shell-script -*-
# ~/.my.cnf
#

[mysql]
host=localhost
user=root
password='xxxxxx'

host=localhost
user=sebyte
password='xxxxx'

host=localhost
user=ddj
password='xxx'

[mysqladmin]
host=localhost
user=root
password='xxxxxx'

--
CC me by all means but a follow-up will usually do.