Misao schrieb:

Our production databases here are really growing and getting to be rather
big. The question on our minds is; when is a database or table just too big?

We have a few 20-30GB-InnoDB-Tables (growing) without any problems (mysql 4.1.5gamma).
The limits of mysql are somewhere in the terabyte-area I think, there is information on that in the manual.
I assume your problem would probably be hardware/performance at some point.

The machine that we are running that big database on is a dual-Opteron, 8gigs of RAM, 750GB RAID 1+0 SATA-Hotswap.
no problems so far... nice piece of hardware ;)

I have 2 or 3 tables that the MySQL Administrator can't even get a size on. It
reports it as 0Bytes, but the little picture bar shows that these tables
take up almost 1/3 of the database size. I think these tables could be as
big as 8GB, but we have quite a few above 1GB.

Seems like a problem of MySQL Administrator. Check if you use the newest version, else change your frontend or make a bug-report.

Jan