On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 11:47:47 +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Jacob Friis Larsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 28/01/2005 11:23:46:
>
> > We have a table that grow by 200MB each day.
> >
> > Should we put data in different tables or is one big table just as fast?
> > We will for new data do select, update and insert and for old data
> > only select.
>
> It is not possible to answer in the general case - you would need to
> explain more about your table and usage patterns.

The table contains data from RSS and Atom feeds.
Most users only need to see the newest items.
A select could look like this: "SELECT title, desc FROM items WHERE
feedid = 25 LIMIT 10"

> However, if you can use MyISAM tables, you should at least consider using
> MERGE tables:
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/merge-storage-engine.html

I will.

> If your database is "well indexed" and your searches can generate
> relatively small amounts of data on the first key used, the overhead of
> having enormous files is small. At the other end, if the MySQL is reduced
> to a linear search, the impact of a huge file is enormous.

I'm not sure I understand this.

> If most of your SELECTs are on "recent" data, it is work considering
> splitting the table into daily, weekly, or monthly sub-tables. This means
> that you can archive very old months, and pack recent months, while
> keeping only the current month active. But if you need to search the
> entire archive frequently, this will reduce performance.

I only need to go through the entire archive when indexing via Swish
or when Google stops by.

Thanks for your help.
Jacob