Sheryl Canter wrote:
I've got a weird problem that's driving me nuts. I'm updating a set of
scripts for a customer database that supports sending out software
registration codes in real time. I've had this working for some time now,
but I'm having the most frustrating problem. Data I've inserted simply
VANISHES.

Sheryl:

A sure way to fix weird problems like this is to get organized a bit. Here is how I would approach this problem:

* Make sure all of your queries are being sent through the same interface in your script. The way I accomplish this in mine is to create a subroutine called safe_query() and use only that to issue a query. This way you can control a lot of things, such as error checking, logging, timing, etc.

 * Make sure to check for errors diligently.

* Make your version of safe_query() logs everything query it is sending to the client

* Study the logs thoroughly and with a clear mind ( good sleep strongly recommended)

* If after implementing the above steps the problem does not become obvious, run mysqld with --log option and capture every command it receives. You could indeed have a goblin script/cron-job that deletes the records or something crazy like that, and this will help you detect it.

--
Sasha Pachev
AskSasha Linux Consulting