Jesse Sheidlower wrote:
I'm asking on behalf of someone; I don't have access to the
machine in question:

How do you change your own password in MySQL 3.23.58, without
access to the mysql table?

The user in question discovered that he was only able to change
the password from the particular machine he was logged in from,
not for 'user'@'%'.

I see that the docs say that the "SET PASSWORD FOR" format is
possible only for clients with access to the mysql table. But
when the user logged into machine 'server1' and issued "SET
PASSWORD = PASSWORD('newpassw0rd')", he set the password for
[EMAIL PROTECTED] only, not for [EMAIL PROTECTED],
[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], etc.

Is there any way he can do this, or does he need an admin
to issue a "SET PASSWORD FOR" command?

Jesse:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] is not the same as [EMAIL PROTECTED] They are separate entities and have their own sets of privileges, unless the user was created with a wild card in the host, which does not appear to be the case in your situation.

Therefore, in order to change the password for all the "personalities" of this user, he needs to log in from each of his "personality" hosts, and set it on a case-by-case basis.

-- Sasha Pachev AskSasha Linux Consulting http://www.asksasha.com