Hello.

> If it is possible to do a local install as a non privileged user, can

> someone please point me in the right direction, to a guide or

> something?

Yes it is possible. Here is a part of my configuration file.

[client]

port            = 3718

socket          = /home/gleb/mysqls/tmp/mysql.sock.gleb.a

[mysqld]

log_warnings=1

set-variable=user=gleb

default_character_set=utf8

port            = 3718

socket          = /home/gleb/mysqls/tmp/mysql.sock.gleb.a

skip-locking

pid-file        = /home/gleb/mysqls/tmp/mysql.pid.gleb.a

log             = /home/gleb/mysqls/logs/mysql.log.a

log-bin         = /home/gleb/mysqls/logs/mysql.log-bin.a

log-update      = /home/gleb/mysqls/logs/mysql.log-update.a

log-error       = /home/gleb/mysqls/logs/mysql.log-error.a

log-isam        = /home/gleb/mysqls/logs/mysql.log-isam.a

datadir         =/home/gleb/mysqls/mysql-debug-4.1.9-pc-linux-gnu-i686/data

key_buffer = 16K

max_allowed_packet = 1M

table_cache = 4

sort_buffer_size = 64K

read_buffer_size = 256K

read_rnd_buffer_size = 256K

net_buffer_length = 2K

thread_stack = 64K

wait_timeout=1000

interactive_timeout=50

server-id       = 1

innodb_data_home_dir=/home/gleb/mysqls/mysql-debug-4.1.9-pc-linux-gnu-i686/data

innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend

innodb_log_group_home_dir
=/home/gleb/mysqls/mysql-debug-4.1.9-pc-linux-gnu-i686/data

innodb_log_arch_dir =/home/gleb/mysqls/mysql-debug-4.1.9-pc-linux-gnu-i686/data

innodb_buffer_pool_size = 16M

innodb_additional_mem_pool_size = 2M

innodb_log_file_size = 5M

innodb_log_buffer_size = 8M