Matt,

If you go through the various build options tried in that bug report,
you will see that it is a subtle bug and apparently still unresolved.  I
couldn't tell you with any degree of confidence will fix it.  The bug
report does show a couple of configure options for PHP which seem to
elimiate it, without shedding much light on the underlaying cause.

Possible conflict in zlib versions or some other common library between
PHP and MySQL build..  I would closely examine the dependant libraries
via $ ldd...   Hard to tell without knowing the OS, the specific
software builds and the various library versions especially any shared
ones..

If you have a test system you can use, you might consider experimentally
building both PHP and MySQL from source and explicitly set them to use
the same versions of any shared libraries?  Might be a bit of
overkill...

 - michael dykman

--
 - michael dykman