What does [Show VARIABLES LIKE "%char%" ;] return ?

How does the character look when selected on the command line ?
 --> If correct then inserting works fine
 --> If not corect check your character settings

You might also find the information below useful:

http://www.be-known-online.com/mysql/
(Using_MySQL_in_a_Japanese_environment (380KB PDF))
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/charset.html

Best regards

Nils Valentin
Tokyo / Japan