Keith Ivey wrote:
Roger Baklund wrote:

Galen wrote:

I've got a huge table going, and it's storing a load of numeric data. Basically, a percentage or single digit rank, one or two digits before the decimal and fifteen after, like this:

6.984789027653891
39.484789039053891

[snip]

You should not use FLOAT, it is an approximate type, not storing the exact values you enter, but an approximation:

But it's unlikely that numbers like that *are* exact values. Your advice would be applicable for prices or other situations where you're storing an exact number that has a decimal part, but these look more like measurements, so they're not exact in the first place, and any inexactness in calculations is fine as long as it's below the error in the measurements.

Well, only Galen knows for sure, but if he did not need 15 decimal digits, why did he say so? ;)

(My guess is you are right, by the way...)

--
Roger