I hope someone can clarify the relationship between 'table_cache' and
'max_connections' (I use MySQL 4.0.23). The manual says:

   "table_cache is related to max_connections. For example, for
   200 concurrent running connections, you should have a table
   cache size of at least 200 * N, where N is the maximum
   number of tables in a join. You also need to reserve some
   extra file descriptors for temporary tables and files."

Does that mean, that when table_cache is set to, say, 256, only 256
concurrent connections can be made? I mean, is it restrictive for the
amount of connections? It seems to say so, but since this is also said to
be a CACHE value, maybe not.

I have set table_cache to 256, max_connections to 512, and I have an
open_files_limit of 7408. Does that suffice?

Thanks,

- Mark