1. Windows 2K and MySQL 5
2. Downloaded the 3.51.9 driver (I've seen a number of issues reported with the .10 driver, so avoided it to begin with) and installed it. It shows up in the ODBC admin nicely.
3. Created a new file DSN with the ODBC Admin
4. After I entered a name for the dsn ("mysqlf"), I hit Finish and the MySQL DSN Config dialog appeared.
5. Trouble ensued.
6. The settings I used:
- Host/Server Name: 127.0.0.1
- Database Name: test (the test database taht comes with MySQL)
- User: whil
- Password: secret (which is whil's password in the MySQL user grant table)
- Port (if not 3306): left empty
- SQL command on connect: left empty

Note that I can connect to and manipulate the test database interactively (I added a table, inserted records, etc., all as user 'whil')

7. Hit "Test Data Source"
8. Error message: [MySQL][ODBC 3.51 Driver] Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client.

9. I have no idea what this means. I don't even understand some of the words, much less the whole durn tootin' sentence.

I tried the same thing with a System DSN (and it filled in 'localhost' for the Host/Server instead of 127.0.0.1), and got the same error.

Ideas? Is this a user error or a driver error?  Is this MySQL5 specific?

Thanks,

Whil