First, check your my.cnf file to see if you have a 'bind-address'
entry.  Such an entry will constrain you system only responding to
machines on the same network.  Failing that, have you checked you
firewall settings?  Are you sure that can can even reach port 3306 on
that machine from the outside world?  You might try setting up a packet
sniffer like Ethereal on the server to listen for connections to port
3306 and then try to connect from the outside.  If you see no connection
attempt being made, then very like your network configuration is not
allowing these connections through to the server.

 - michael dykman

--
 - michael dykman
 - [EMAIL PROTECTED]