I'm using Fedora Core 3 and just did an upgrade from 4.1.7 to 4.1.9, using Linux AMD64 rpms from the MySQL web site. It looks like everything went well. For me, the hard part was backing up my databases with mysqldump -- see my comments under the thread "MySQL upgrading" on this list.

I shut down the MySQL server using 'mysqladmin shutdown', then upgraded the client package, followed by the server, followed by the shared and devel packages. Then I re-built PHP 5.0.3 to take in the new MySQL client stuff. It all seems to work well. Of course, your mileage may vary. (I'd like to use RHEL some day myself.)

Bob Cochran

Shaun T. Erickson wrote:

I'd like to upgrade my RHEL ES v3 u4 server from MySQL 4.1.8 to 4.1.9. It's using rpms from the MySQL site, and the new ones will be from there as well.

Assuming I shut down MySQL and any apps that use it, is it as simple as upgrading the rpms? Will the apps be affected by the change?

   -ste