Hi!

Am So, den 06.02.2005 schrieb Daniel Kasak um 23:55:
> Auyon Bhattacharya wrote:
>
> >I am new to this. I have been trying to implement a hierarchial data
> >structure in Mysql 5.0, on Windows NT with PHP. Can anyone tell me if
> >I wish to retrieve an information such as the list of fore-fathers
> >from a family tree how do I go about it in MySQL. [[...]]
> >

> Have a look at excellent tutorial:
> http://www.sitepoint.com/article/hierarchical-data-database

Especially, look at the second page there:
http://www.sitepoint.com/article/hierarchical-data-database/2
It describes the "nested set" model which looks promising to me.

For those of you who can read German, I recommend its presentation
"Baeume in SQL" ("Trees in SQL") as found here:
http://www.koehntopp.de/kris/artikel/sql-self-references/

HTH,
Joerg

--