[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Your solution is as good as any I can think of. If your source tables are InnoDB you could wrap your SELECT/UPDATE processing in a transaction to help make it even more robust. It might speed things up if you omit the offset to your LIMIT clause and just do:

Yes, they are InnoDB and I routinely now do such things in transactions. And I did remove the LIMIT offset, which was from the first tests.

that way you always find the "first" 5000 un-indexed records, regardless of physical position. Record order is not guaranteed unless you use an ORDER BY statement and that would just slow you down, wouldn't it?

Indeed, which was one reason I went with the HEAP table... which is also a TEMPORARY table so that two clients can work concurrently.

Thanks.

Nick