I'm new to the mySql product.  I have installed the mySql binaries on my
HPUX machine and followed the instructions.

I tested that the command line 'mysql' is working and I can create
databases, users and import data.

I wrote a simple C program that does mysql_init(NULL) and then connects
to the database.

However, when the program executes the mysql_init function, I get the
following error:

InnoDB: Unable to lock
/opt/mysql-standard-4.1.9-hp-hpux11.00-hppa2.0w/data/ibdata1, error: 13

InnoDB: Check that you do not already have another mysqld process

InnoDB: using the same InnoDB data or log files.

InnoDB: Error in opening
/opt/mysql-standard-4.1.9-hp-hpux11.00-hppa2.0w/data/ibdata1

050207 17:22:12  InnoDB: Operating system error number 13 in a file
operation.

InnoDB: The error means mysqld does not have the access rights to

InnoDB: the directory.

InnoDB: Could not open or create data files.

InnoDB: If you tried to add new data files, and it failed here,

InnoDB: you should now edit innodb_data_file_path in my.cnf back

InnoDB: to what it was, and remove the new ibdata files InnoDB created

InnoDB: in this failed attempt. InnoDB only wrote those files full of

InnoDB: zeros, but did not yet use them in any way. But be careful: do
not

InnoDB: remove old data files which contain your precious data!

050207 17:22:12 [ERROR] Can't init databases

<<<<<

I check the permission on the files and directories.  The user 'mysql'
and group 'mysql'  have access to the data directory and to the files.

Can someone direct my to a possible solution?

Thanks

Yigal Spinner

Solution Delivery Excellence

(Technology & Systems Integration)

Chicago Office (161 N. Clark)

*

Phone:

312.693.3950

7

Fax:

312.652.3950

*

Email:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

:

MSIM:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

proprietary, or otherwise private information.  If you have received it in
error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original.  Any other
use of the email by you is prohibited.