Was not the command

mysqldump -u user -p your_database > dump.sql

easier to do ?

Robert L Cochran wrote:
I myself want to go from version 4.1.7 to 4.1.9, so I read the upgrade page, which advises you to back up your databases. You do that with mysqldump, and that is briefly explained here:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/upgrading-to-arch.html

I added this "user comment" to the page:

-------------------------------
"Before going further, I'm not a deep unix expert, so take my comments with caution. For mysqldump to work, DUMPDIR must be writable by the mysql user. A 'select into outfile' query is executed to get the result set for the *.txt file containing dumped table data, and that file has to be written by the mysql user.

For example, on unix systems if you specify /home/well/mysqlbkup as DUMPDIR, then /home/well must be readable by the mysql user and /home/well/mysqlbkup must be writable by the mysql user.

When mysqldump creates the *.txt file containing the actual table data, that file is world readable on a unix system. "
----------------------------------

It took a long time for me to figure out how to make /home/well/mysqlbkup writable by the mysql user, and I probably did it wrong. If user "well" is the owner of /home/well, then I changed the permissions from:

drwx------ 48 well well /home/well

drwxr-x--- 48 well mysql /home/well

and then /home/well/mysqlbkup to:

drwxrwxr-x 2 mysql mysql 4096 mysqlbkup

On the administrative side I added the 'mysql' user group to the 'well' user group and the 'well' user group to the 'mysql' user group. I probably made mistakes here, but I did succeed in getting my databases backed up.

One last note: mysqldump apparently looks at your .my.cnf and executes with the username specified in that file. If that user does not have both select_priv and file_priv access to the database, you won't be able to create a backup of it. I ended up using mysqldump as the "root" user.

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA

Coz Web wrote:

Helena, have you tried this link:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/upgrade.html

It starts:

"2.10. Upgrading MySQL

As a general rule, we recommend that when upgrading from one release
series to another, you should go to the next series rather than
skipping a series. For example, if you currently are running MySQL
3.23 and wish to upgrade to a newer series, upgrade to MySQL 4.0
rather than to 4.1 or 5.0.

The following items form a checklist of things you should do whenever
you perform an upgrade: ... "

2.10.2. Upgrading from Version 4.0 to 4.1
2.10.3. Upgrading from Version 3.23 to 4.0

HTH

Coz

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 21:09:21 +0100 (CET), Helena Carlsson