Just a shot in the dark
do you have "skip-networking" or "bind-address" uncommented in your my.cnf ?
Reading better what you write I suppose the answer is yes ;)

can you connect from one server to the other using the replication user ?

Olivier Kaloudoff ha scritto:

Hi,

    As no one answered to the question below, I'm
wondering wether it's a FAQ ... or a bug for which I should
fill a report ..

    My network is ok between the two machines, I can
ssh from one to another and any traffic can flow.

    But this error prevents me to start replication
at all..

Olivier