I'm not aware of any problems with DISTINCT, though it often seems that how people expect it to work differs from how it actually works.

It would help if you could provide more details. For example, what do you mean by "large gaps"? Do you mean there are rows which match the WHERE condition whose Date values don't show up? An example would be good. What does EXPLAIN say for your query?

Michael

James Purser wrote:

I have a large database that I am trying to run a SELECT DISTINCT
across.

SELECT DISTINCT Date FROM tb_spots WHERE aired_station = '??'

However the results I am getting from this query do not match up with
the data on the database, instead there are large gaps.

Is there any know problem with SELECT DISTINCT across large databases?